Monday, September 1, 2008

The Waiting Is The Hardest Part

Within the past year, I've been lucky enough to finally see some of the rock legends I've never seen before. These legendary figures include John Fogerty (of CCR fame), Bruce Springsteen, and from this past Friday night, Tom Petty.
After all these years and all the concerts I've been to, it's hard to believe I hadn't seen them, but at the time when they were most popular, things like ticket costs and availability made attending their concerts prohibitive for me.
The gosh-awful freeway exit to the Woodlands Pavilion took 30 minutes to traverse, causing Lisa and I to miss part of another classic rocker's act, Steve Winwood. There are a series of ironies here. Firstly, Winwood fronted an old group called Traffic. Second, our tickets were for row PP. No lie. And I had to go, but my gal pal urged me to wait because we were almost there. Yeah, as Tom sang, "The waiting is the hardest part."
But none of that diminished the show. Winwood did a great "Dear Mr. Fantasy," even if his time on the stage was a bit short. Tom Petty brought his Heartbreakers, and he didn't disappoint the throng who came out to see him.
The setlist included most of your faves, but as Lisa pointed out, "Here Comes My Girl" was noticeably absent. Anyone would be hard-pressed, though, to not find something they liked in the lineup: You Wreck Me, Listen To Her Heart, I Won't Back Down, Even The Losers, Free Fallin', Breakdown, Learning To Fly, all leaving the crowd breathless. Absolutely great rock and roll, and I can now cross one more name off the list.

1 comment:

sue said...

rock on , man...way cool