Sunday, August 24, 2008

Metal Hearts

Last night the "Metal Masters Tour" came to Houston, and Lisa, Justin, Kevin and I took our expensive seats in the 4th freaking row! We got to see, up close and personal, all the facial expressions, all the gestures, and all the rock theatrics of classic metal gods Judas Priest, Heaven and Hell, and Motorhead.

As I watched my heroes onstage, I couldn't help but pinch myself -- Tony Iommi, Ronnie James Dio, Rob Halford, Glenn Tipton -- they're RIGHT THERE! When they'd come over to our part of the stage, they'd just look and smile, or point, or nod. Folks, you just don't get that when you're sittin' waaaaaaay back next to the hot dog stand.

Just ask Kevin about wanting to vomit when the pounding bass drums of Heaven and Hell vibrated every part of his body. Justin joked, "I thought it was going to collapse my lung!"

All of us jumped and pumped our arms to all the metal anthems you could want in a single evening. There was the trademark epic and namesake, "Heaven and Hell," "Sign of the Southern Cross" (from H&H), "Breaking the Law," and "The Hellion/Electric Eye" (from Priest). Justin says Heaven and Hell's performance of "Falling Off The Edge of the World" was the best, and Kevin got his wish to hear both "Metal Gods" and "The Green Manolishi" from Judas Priest. Lisa said she preferred the sound of Motorhead to the "mash" of the two other bands. To each her own, I guess. Me? I kinda liked watching my peeps get off on the kick-ass rock 'n roll I've been worshipping for all these decades. The family that rocks together, gets tinnitus together. Or, something like that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You weren't there, I didn't see you. They played several songs I have not seen them do live. Believe it of not, Micheal went home and got out my Priest cd's. After he said he did not like them not too long ago.

lreaves said...

Yeah, it was good. Real good. But I think Kev was worried that his heart was going to jump out of his skin when Heaven & Hell was pounding the drums. I was thrilled seeing all "my guys" having fun and enjoying some live music. They all got awesome t-shirts too! ;)