Friday, September 26, 2008

Michael & Me

Michael Moore was recently on "Larry King Live" (9/5) to talk about his new book, and his upcoming film. The book, titled "Mike's Election Guide," pokes fun at the 2008 presidential election. His film, called "Slacker Uprising," documents his quest to get out the youth vote. The film is available for free, via download at slackeruprising.com.

Moore published an alternative newspaper in Flint, Michigan called the Flint Voice in 1976, that reached wider circulation in 1983, under the new banner of the Michigan Voice. The newspaper ran stories exposing corruption, police abuse, chemical dumping and racial discrimination.

In 1980, the Flint police raided a local printing firm looking for information related to an article in the Flint Voice criticizing the city's mayor. By that summer, the ACLU defended the Voice, when their case reached the Supreme Court, eventually moving Congress to pass a law prohibiting such searches.

In addition to the newspaper, Moore hosted a Sunday morning radio show on Flint's WWCK 105 FM, called "Radio Free Flint." This is where I discovered the brash activist. I couldn't believe some of the "radical" ideas that came out of his mouth at the time, but after tuning in weekly, I became a convert. His plain-talk, common-sense view of local and national politics made a lot more sense to me than the drivel and gobbledy-gook that was aired everyday on every tv news program. Even if I didn't always agree. And unlike the popular commentators today, he never yelled and screamed at his guests or his callers, and he never called them names.


My feeling is that it's that approach that scares politicians so much that they feel compelled to bring his name up in the unlikeliest of places. At the 2008 Republican Convention, Joe Lieberman mentioned him. Four years ago, John McCain did the same. Why? He isn't a candidate, he isn't even a politician! Are these folks so afraid that the common citizen just might be listening to this man? You bet. Millions of people buy his books, see his movies, and find a resonance they can understand. That's political influence. They should be very afraid.

In 1980, I was working at a Pizza Hut restaurant in Flint, and a phone order came in. It sounded shaky to me. We used to get fake orders all the time, so I called the number back to verify. It was the Flint Police Department! I hung up, and threw the order away.

Twenty minutes later, up drives Michael Moore to the drive-through window. "I'm here to pick up a pizza for Moore," he said. Ooops. It was a real order. We had this guarantee that if the order wasn't ready when we said it would be, the customer would get the order for free. I had some explaining to do. I told Mr. Moore what happened, apologized for my goof, and quickly made his pizza. While it was baking, I took the opportunity to have a chat with him. This turned out to be the first of several rap sessions he and I had from that drive-through window. On those invariable Saturdays, we'd talk about current events, political happenings, whatever was in the recent issue of the Voice, and his speaking appearances at the University of Michigan-Flint.


Michael left Flint in 1986 to take a job at the magazine Mother Jones. When that didn't turn out so well, he headed back to Flint, got a film camera, and made his first documentary, "Roger & Me" in 1989. By that time, I was teaching in Dallas. Michael appeared on Larry King's radio show on January 16, 1990. Excited that someone I "knew" had made a film (about my hometown, no less!), I just had to call in.

You can listen to our conversation by clicking the button below! Michael remembered our window-side chats at the pizza joint. He remembers to this day "where he came from." Whatever our political views, we should all be so moved to get up and do something about them.

1 comment:

Sheryl Lynn said...

Cool Dave - enjoyed listening!