Saturday, August 2, 2008

Radio Free R.E.M.

My Phone Call to R.E.M.

Rock band R.E.M had just released their album Automatic For The People, and as part of their promotion tour, they appeared on the Global Satellite Network's call-in radio show, "Rockline." This is the still-running show that allows listeners to interview their favorite rockers, live, and on-the-air.

On this particular Monday (October 12, 1992), band members Peter Buck and Mike Mills were behind the microphones and fielding the questions. Well, I just happened to dial in and pose a question of my own.

As you might guess, getting through on the 800 number isn't an easy task. Every R.E.M. fan and his mother is trying to do the same thing -- mostly dialing frantically and getting a busy signal, and then dialing again. Even if you get a ring, I discovered, there's no guarantee that someone on the other end will pick up the call. After many, many rings, the call may be dropped, and you can start all over again! After dozens of attempts, I finally got through, to a real live person. I was ready; I went through my list of questions until the screener agreed one of them was worthy. Then, I just had to wait with the phone pressed up to my ear for my turn to talk to two of my musical heroes live on the radio!


After letting Peter and Mike know that they were both my favorite half of R.E.M., I asked them about the expectations of AFTP being a "return-to-rock" album, and what had changed that idea. Here is Mike's answer:

"Well, we kind of expected that too, but when we wrote all the songs, we looked at 'em, we picked the best ones, and Michael chose the ones he felt like writing words to, and we found that they were slower and mid-tempo. And, you know, our main interest is in creating the best record possible, with the best songs possible, so rather than take the rockin' songs that might not have been as good as others and trying to force them into a record, we took the ones that we thought would make the best overall sound. And it turned out that they were this way. We were as surprised as anyone I think, by this turn of events, but we're very pleased with it, I think that the songs are all very well realized, and I like the record."

Bob Coburn, the host, then asked "In general terms, is it easier to write an up-tempo song?"

Mike replied, "It's easier to write an up-tempo song, but it's harder to write a good one, one that hasn't been heard a million times."

After my part on the show ended, I stayed on the phone line listening in to the off-the-air conversation taking place while “Man On The Moon” was being played, and then even longer, during the commercial break. I was supposed to hang up, but this fly on the wall opportunity was in my grasp! I listened for 5 or 10 minutes before they disconnected me, and I wish I could have recorded it, but I'll tell you what I remember. Drummer Bill Berry had called two callers before me, so during the break Peter commented that he wished lead singer Michael Stipe would call.

Mike Mills: "I doubt he's listening. No offense!"

Peter said that Michael never knows about the media and promotion side of things. "We'll be doing some promotion and we'll come back and he'll say 'where you guys been?'"

Mills: "And we'll say ‘what do you mean, mother ___, we're out plugging your record!'"

Another topic of their discussion dealt with Al and Tipper Gore, and the Parents Music Resource Center, etc.

Mills: "She means well."

Bob Coburn talked about censorship and said someone had made the argument "Why don't we start with Shakespeare?"

Mills: "...or country music."

Mike also commented that he still couldn't figure out the lyrics to "Ignoreland!"



As an added bonus to calling in, the good folks at the show sent me two REM cds, and here you see the letter that was mailed with them. (Click it for the bigger picture.)

REM also has archived every appearance they've made on Rockline on their website, and you can listen to my actual call here!

By the way, I made it onto yet another Rockline show a few years later, but you'll have to wait for that story!


No comments: