Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Teach Your Children Well

Two weeks ago I was invited to dinner at a cool little restaurant in town call Baba Yega. Sure, the cuisine was tasty -- but what was special about it was those who invited me. Ryan and Elizabeth graduated from my high school, where they were subjected to my brand of tutelage and torture, in 2004. (Ever notice how close the word tutor is to the word torture? I have, and have made a career of it!) They both graduated from universities not long ago, and while they had a chance, they wanted to hang out for a couple hours with, of all people, me.

That's very special in itself. They were great kids then, and they're great "kids," now. Ryan works in a music studio and also is the music director at a church, which, as it turns out, has some of Lisa's family members in its congregation. He is a very talented musician, with a band of his own. Liz will be a rookie English teacher at an area high school, and her soon-to-be students don't know how lucky they are. (Liz doesn't understand yet, what's in store for her, either, but that's a whole career and lifetime ahead of her.) Both Liz and and Ryan are very bright and talented in so many ways, but moreover, they are wonderful kind-hearted, genuine human beings.

Yeah, you got me -- I paid for dinner.

Today, I was invited out for a Mexican lunch by Stephen, the videographer I mentioned in a previous post. He gathered several more former students of mine, namely, Heather, Monica, Drew, Danny, Chris, Henry, and Josh. I know they're going to go on to be leaders of our planet, too.

I am fortunate enough to be a part of these kids' lives, and nothing is lost on me as to how incredibly lucky I am. Lucky that more often than I can count, I have reached some truly gifted young people that I know will make our world a better place. I am indeed, counting on that.

Forgive me if I sound like I'm bragging. These Kumbaya moments do occur a few times every year, thank goodness. Problem is, I rarely speak about it. Right now, I think it's time I mentioned how good it is, and remind myself that I am proud, and grateful. Counting my blessings, that's all.

No comments: