Friday, June 19, 2009

Everything Must Go!

The last of New York's mega-music stores has closed. The Virgin Megastore in Union Square sold off the last of its stock this past Sunday, marking the end of an era that's frankly been a long time coming. The NY Times quoted a former employee thusly: “It does matter because it was also a social gathering space, and that’s one thing that buying music online lacks.”

OK, but as real-world record shops are all but extinct, that's not all we're missing. In the old, old days, I could go to my favorite local indie record shop and get personalized service. I would walk in on my weekly visit and typically say, "Hey, Scott, ya got anything for me?" And Scott would dig out a stash of Beatles, or heavy metal, or import records saved under the counter, just for me. He and I became friends that way.

Gone too are the midnight madness release parties, where I could crowd into a store at an insane hour all because getting a copy of the Beatles' Anthology just couldn't wait till tomorrow. And I could pick up things like promo giveaway buttons, to boot. What a great excuse that was to head over to Whataburger, and then sit in the parking lot with my brother, in our own makeshift listening party with a burger and fries, and fresh, new music turned up loud on the car stereo.

Upcoming artists with a new release used to make what were called "in-store appearances," where fans could meet them and get an up-close and personal impromptu performance.

Sigh. I-Tunes and Amazon just ain't the same.

You might care to watch the video below, of Steve Earle, doing an in-store at one of my favorite shops, Waterloo Records, in Austin, Texas. Austin is such a music capitol, I reckon I may have to move there, one day.

No comments: