Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Your Mother Should Know

Just a few days after Christmas in 1973, I was listening to our new copy of the Beatles' "Magical Mystery Tour," on an also new record player. When the trippy "Blue Jay Way" came through the speakers, my mother ordered sternly, "Turn that off. Turn that off, right now!"

Just how Beatle George wrote the song is told in a story printed in a 1967 issue of KRLA Beat. I happened upon this old issue on a website dedicated to the old, long out-of-publication music newspaper, here. If one downloads the various issues archived there (in pdf format, all free and legal!), he or she can take a trip down memory lane with stories about the Beatles,the Stones and most other contemporary artists. If you like that kinda thing, you really ought to check it out.

By the way, the event that inspired George Harrison to write the song occurred on my seventh birthday. So, take that, mom, and happy belated mother's day.

2 comments:

sue said...

at least I am not the belated mom! lol and look how well you turned out. I did it right!

saki said...

And that KRLA Beat page is still going strong! Thanks for the kind mention.

Your r.m.b. pal,
saki