Monday, March 23, 2009

Talk About The Passion


A good friend of mine who shares a passion for music sent me a link to an article at the Huffington Post. The article is remarkable in that it was eloquently written by someone equally as passionate about music, and one who knows of which he speaks. I urge you to go right now and read the piece in question, "On My Mind: The State of the Music Business," by John Mellencamp. I can't speak with his authority and insight, but maybe after reading his words, you'll then be moved to come back here, and finish reading my own humble observation, that follows below.

Does anyone care about the music industry? I can tell you that almost all teenagers (the age group that used to buy most of the music) couldn't care less. Week before last, I did my annual "show and tell." Ya know, where I tell my kids about their old, boring, cranky teacher's experiences with, and passion for, music. I tell 'em a little about radio. A little about the Smithereens. A lot about the Beatles -- and why they mean so much to me. I extend that with a few words about following one's passion -- whatever it is -- and how that sometimes turns into really good things. Moreover, I talk about how passion for good things spreads so much good will to others, and gives one a sense of being on this planet. Not the least of which is a belief in oneself, and a responsibility to look after our neighbors.

When I started this little "show and tell" a few years ago, I did so with much hesitation. I had always been one to keep things to myself, because, after all, why would kids less than half my age even care about my musical tastes, beliefs, or some intangible thing called passion? Then, to my happy surprise, many of my kids gravitated toward my little presentation. I brought in pictures, and albums, and videos, and look, your wacky teacher dabbled in radio, and worked for a year on this Smithereens Anthology, and even had an article he wrote for a small fan magazine get picked up in Germany, where it was translated to German for a Beatles museum's program. All small things, but all things I'd never dreamed I'd get to participate in -- things I loved to do.

Well, the kids did care, because they cared about me. I could not have been more surprised, or more happy, at such validation. They also got to see a side of me they never knew about. Speaking to them about something I was passionate about, expressing values that defined me a great deal, I found, was inspirational to them. I never knew how incredibly powerful that was. Or, satisfying to me as human being who cares about other human beings. Just when did such a simple and honest statement become so corny a thing to say?

As I said, I got a new lesson, a couple of weeks ago when I did this year's show and tell. Whereas I used to have so many kids stay after class wanting to know more, wanting to touch and see the goodies I brought in, this time only a small hand full of them found any connection to my message. It was truly sad. By third period, I finally asked my class, "How many of you are really into music?" Only three kids raised their hands. Ouch. Only two of them owned any CDs. Only one of them had any real commercial CDs (ie, not CD-Rs). They all had downloaded mp3s illegally, not even bothering to buy them.

I gave my "lesson," anyway. Some got it. Most did not.

What's different, now, so suddenly, and where does that leave us?

Music changed my life. I've known all along that most people are not on the same wavelength as I, not nearly as obsessed about it. Most people, I think, are passionate about something, though, and that is usually what drives them in this planetary existence.

Perhaps the problem really is as John Mellencamp describes in his piece for the Huffington Post: "It's not that the people don't still love music; of course they do. It's just the way it is presented to them that ignores their humanity."

As a result, they don't buy it. They don't really listen to it. They don't experience any heartfelt passion about it. They can't relate to a guy who grew up doing all those things.

I must continue to seek ways of linking to my students' humanity. If our society were to lose out to this kind of ignorance, we become not a people, but rather a sorry system where every man looks out only for himself. We need, as a people, to share ideas and passion for things that are intrinsically good, things that matter to all humans, from the heart. There are several ways people do this, of course. Sharing a love of music, is one way that I understand.

I gave away 6 Beatles CDs, that day. Those 6 kids came back to school today, and reported to their classmates the joy they found in their new music. They got it. Some of their classmates copied their music to their own music players. Well, OK, so maybe it's a start.

No comments: