Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Divine Intervention

This is about as close to a spiritual connection as I can know. I know it, but I couldn't possibly describe how profound it is. It is no accident to me that I discovered this thing called the music of the Beatles. From that earliest of ages, almost as far back as my memory goes, it was in my life. What seems so trivial to most, defines a way of life, and understanding of life, to me. When I look at the pictures of the Beatles from 1960-62, I see something that absolutely runs parallel to my own life. No, not fame, or rock stardom. Nothing of the kind. Gaze at this picture of scruffs, from a club in Hamburg, Germany. At least one of the members of this fledgling band knew he could follow his dream, and make it work. Long before it ever happened. Look closely. The attitude is there.

It is something I can understand. With all the determination and defiance in the world, I was bent on taking that world on. Like those Liverpudlian teddy boys, taking a journey to a strange land just to prove themselves, to try to do it their way, I can so completely relate. I had the faith, and the will (and plenty of self-doubt, too), but I knew what I needed to do to try to make a successful life. Though a teacher's work is never done, on my best days, I feel like I've made it.

Again, look at this photo. How did those young boys have so much confidence? That's amazing to me. As proof, there exist enough photos from the time that their friends also knew this band was onto something. Now, I don't have photos from my formative days to offer up, but ask anyone who knew me then, and I have a feeling they'll tell you I had plenty of attitude. Plenty. And, as I know now, a lot of guidance from whatever it is out there that brought me to this place in time.

I could talk forever about the Beatles, and why they are still, to this day so great, and the impact they've had on me. But that thing we share, that drive to "the toppermost of the poppermost," is the most profound.

No comments: